Department Of Chemical Engineering
(Under the School of Chemical, Food and Biotechnology)
Name of Dean : Prof. (Dr.) Radharani Das
|Head Of The Department||Prof.(Dr.) Tapas Kumar Manna|
|Phone||+91 94344 53183|
|Undergraduate||B.Tech in Chemical Engg.||120||4 Years|
|Postgraduate||M.Tech in Chemical Engg.||18||2 Years|
Mission and Vision of the Institute:
To achieve Centre of Excellence in the field of Science, Technology and Management Education for creating dynamic human resources of global standards with capabilities of accepting new challenges.
Ø To impart quality and value based education to raise satisfaction level of all stake-holders.
Ø To create competent, creative professionals, and great entrepreneurs who can work as individual or in group in multi-cultural global environments.
Ø To prepare citizens who would grow to be competent enough to contribute significantly with personal integrity and civic responsibility for the betterment of mankind throughout their careers and profession.
Mission and Vision of the Department (Chemical Engineering):
To become an internationally acclaimed department of highest learning to solve technical challenges faced by chemical and allied industries through eco-friendly technologies.
· To inculcate students with a strong fundamental knowledge to meet the needs of a rapidly changing technological environment in process development and equipment design.
· To carry out vibrant interdisciplinary research programme that can creatively shape the undergraduates and graduates to address the needs of chemical engineering profession in particular and society in general.
· To develop leadership qualities to solve scientific and environmental challenges keeping in mind the safety and ethical concerns.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs):
- To produce graduates with a strong foundation and understanding of the fundamental principles of science and engineering enabling graduates to pursue their careers as practicing chemical engineers in Chemical and Allied Engineering Industries.
- To produce graduates who are prepared to pursue their post-graduation and research in the emerging and allied areas of Chemical Engineering.
- To provide students with opportunities to integrate with multidisciplinary teams to develop skills with professional integrity and ethics to implement professional leadership.
Course Outcomes (COs):
1. Ability to command chemical engineering fundamentals such as mass and energy balances, chemical thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, solid and fluid transport, mass and energy transport, chemical kinetics and integrate into a functional chemical process along with instrumentation and process control.
2. Ability to design equipments and process considering the economic efficiency, safety, ethics and environmental responsibilities.
3. Ability to carry out interdisciplinary research in the fields of environmental engineering, nano science and technology, bioenergy, biochemical engineering, pharmaceutical engineering, material engineering.
4. Ability to identify and solve complex chemical engineering problems through team work, industrial training, small projects etc.
5. Ability to develop proficiency in applying modern computational tools such as ANSYS, FLUENT, ASPEN, MATLAB for successful modelling and simulation.
6. Ability to communicate as a responsible professional through seminar presentation and technical writing.
Programme Outcomes (POs):
1. Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
2. Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
3. Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
4. Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
5. Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
6. The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
7. Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
8. Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
9. Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
10. Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
11. Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one's own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
12. Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Programme Specific Outcomes (PSOs)
1. Function professionally as an engineer to solve problems by applying acquired knowledge in chemical and allied field.
2. Designing an environment friendly system for effective reaction, separation and purification and other operations in various processes with proper safety measures using modern engineering tools individually or in a team.
3. Practicing engineering with professional ethics for the benefit of society with proper communication to the community.