Department of Civil Engineering
(Under the school of Engineering)
Name of Dean : Prof.(Dr.)Tarun Kanti Jana
|Head Of The Department||Prof. (Dr.) Ajit Lal Guha|
|Phone||+91 32242 52900|
|B.Tech in Civil Engineering||120||4 Years|
Mission & VisionVision of the Department: To establish the department as frontiers by offering quality education in proper perspective to accomplish diversified necessities in the field of Civil Engineering education, research and profession. Mission of the Department: The mission of the Department of Civil Engineering is to optimize an effective teaching learning process to prepare the students equipped with fundamental and effective knowledge base blended with contemporary skills with focus on its relevance to the industrial and real life scenarios so that one can emerge as a successful graduate and poised readily to serve the industry and having a strong foundation of higher studies and research with ethical and human values. The prima‐facie mission of the Department is • To develop qualified and proficient civil engineers having contemporary skills through outcome‐based and self‐learning strategies for the service of the sorority. • To encourage innovative and real world problem oriented research capabilities in the young engineers. • To infuse strong ethical values and good professional behavior, so as to adapt and absorb contemporary changes in the field of engineering profession.
To create qualified and proficient technocrats having contemporary skills through outcome-based and self-learning strategies.
Higher studies and research
To encourage innovation-oriented and problem-based research capabilities in the young engineers through higher studies to nurture the progress of the society.
Ethical and human values
To instill strong ethical values and good professional behavior, so as to adapt and absorb emerging changes in the field of engineering profession.
To sustain in the highly competitive global market, it is mandatory that one should always thrive for excellence. The academic fraternity is no exception in this regard. Engineering education being a professional course, the credibility of an engineering institution is judged primarily by the various performance attributes of its stake holders i.e. the students. In congruence with this philosophy, the vision of the department is to create a platform for quality teaching-learning process where, the students are not only taught various subjects as per framed syllabus, but also exposed to the topic beyond it with an emphasis on blending of knowledge and skill and relevance of a topic or subject with the real-life situation so that one can adapt to the industrial requirements.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
PEO 1:To educate and groom students with sound understanding and knowledge of mathematics, basic sciences and engineering blended with contemporary skills in the areas of Civil Engineering and its associated fields.
PEO 2: To equip students for successful professional careers in Civil Engineering domain of public and private enterprises, and to prepare for PG studies in engineering and allied areas, and to undertake research in different specializations within the domain of Civil Engineering.
PEO 3: To make the students aware of the societal aspects of engineering profession, values of ethical practices in profession, and the importance of team work to function coherently and effectively in multi‐disciplinary framework..
Program Outcomes (PO)
1. Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
2. Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
3. Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
4. Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
5. Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
6. The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
7. Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
8. Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
9. Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
10. Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
11. Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
12. Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Programme Specific Outcomes (PSOs)
PSO 1:Able to clearly understand, analyze and comprehend the different courses of Civil Engineering and other interdisciplinary courses and to develop a holistic approach for execution
PSO 2: : Able to design optimally and offer solution to the real world problems related to Civil Engineering through the use of modern tools and techniques.
PSO 3: Capable of sustaining their existence by qualifying national level competitive examinations for higher studies and by successfully meeting the industrial requirements