Department of Biotechnology
(Under the School of Chemical, Food and Biotechnology)
Name of Dean : Prof.(Dr.) Radharani Das
|Head Of The Department||Prof. (Dr.) Suvroma Gupta|
|Phone||+91 89188 73254|
The Department of Biotechnology was established in 2001, with a vision to develop a “Centre of excellence” in Biotechnology for providing education and training facilities, to carry out application-oriented research, to develop in-house technologies, and to promote consultancy services in various areas of Biotechnology. The Department offers 4-year B.Tech. degree and 2-year M.Tech. degree.
The department imparts formal classroom education in the multidisciplinary subjects of Biotechnology as well as practical training in the laboratories of various subject areas to develop industry ready engineers and researchers with leadership & entrepreneurship qualities who can offer services to the society and scientific community through Biotechnology Extension Programmes for lab to land transfer of technologies; and fortify the ideas of perseverance & ethics and to inculcate the spirit of research among the students & teachers through extra-mural research grants.
The Department trains students keeping in mind the requirements of industries, where the pivot of concentration shifts from KNOWLEDGE to its APPLICATION, from theoritical details to a vast inter-disciplinary arena encompasing Bioinstrumentation; Bioinformatics; Biochemical Engineering etc. The Students are given special training in English and Personality Development program for their all round improvement. The department has been ranked 21st among the private engineering colleges in India, published in Biospectrum, Volume 11, Issue 8 in May 2013.
|Undergraduate||B.Tech in Biotechnology||60 seats + 5% TFW + 20% Lateral Entrants||4 Years|
|Postgraduate||M.Tech (Biotechnology)||18||2 Years|
Implementation of outcome based teaching-learning methodology to fulfill current emerging challenges in various areas of Biotechnology.
To fill up the gap between theory and practical in tune with the challenging demands of Biotechnology based industry and academia.
To emphasize on certain areas such as soft skills, ethics, team spirit, environmental and societal issues for overall development.
- To evolve as a pioneer to combat biological challenges and to develop students with sound concepts in Biotechnology who can excel as Leaders in the field of Research, Entrepreneurship, Industry and Management.
Programme Educational Objectives (PEOs)
PEO 1: Creating Outcome Based Education in Biotechnology: To imbibe outcome based basic education of Biotechnology for the students to help them excel in all related fields with competence, technical knowledge and analytical skill.
PEO 2: Power to Work in Multidisciplinary Arena Bridging the Gap Between Knowledge and Application: To train the students for attainment of multidisciplinary technical skills and modern technology to serve as an individual or as a leader with effective communication apt for industry, research & development sectors.
PEO 3: Competence to Provide Service to the Nation as Well as the Society: To fulfill the needs of society for solving medical, agricultural and environmental problems using biotechnological principle, tools and practices in an ethical and responsible manner.
Program Outcomes (PO)
1. Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals, and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems.
2. Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, review research literature, and analyze complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences, and engineering sciences.
3. Design/development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design system components or processes that meet the specified needs with appropriate consideration for the public health and safety, and the cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
4. Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of the information to provide valid conclusions.
5. Modern tool usage: Create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools including prediction and modeling to complex engineering activities with an understanding of the limitations.
6. The engineer and society: Apply reasoning informed by the contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
7. Environment and sustainability: Understand the impact of the professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts, and demonstrate the knowledge of, and need for sustainable development.
8. Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of the engineering practice.
9. Individual and team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams, and in multidisciplinary settings.
10. Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
11. Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects and in multidisciplinary environments.
12. Life-long learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broadest context of technological change.
Programme Specific Outcomes (PSOs)
PSO 1: An ability to understand the basic concepts of Biotechnology and its application in various fields.
PSO 2: An ability to combine the theoretical and practical knowledge to solve complex biological problems using appropriate analytical skills and modern tools.
PSO 3: An ability to build up a successful career compatible in real world with ethical awareness for developing as a working professional or a self-sustaining entrepreneur.