Course Code: M(CS)301/ M(CS)401
Course Name: Numerical Method
At the end of this course, the incumbent will be able to:
To understand this course, the incumbentmust have idea of:
· Derivative of a function and fundamental theorems on calculus
· Taylor series expansion of a single variable function
· Rolle’s theorem and Intermediate Value theorem
Approximation in numerical computation: Truncation and rounding errors, Fixed and floating-point arithmetic, Propagation of errors.(4L)
Interpolation: Newton forward/backward interpolation, Lagrange’s and Newton’s divided difference Interpolation.(5L)
Numerical integration: Trapezoidal rule, Simpson’s 1/3 rule, Expression for corresponding error terms. (3L)
Numerical solution of a system of linear equations:
Gauss elimination method, Matrix inversion, LU Factorization method, Gauss-Seidel iterative method.(6L)
Numerical solution of Algebraic equation:
Bisection method, Regula-Falsi method, Newton-Raphson method.(4L)
Numerical solution of ordinary differential equation: Euler’s method, Runge-Kutta methods, Predictor-Corrector methods and FiniteDifference method.
BEYOND SYLLABI COVERAGE
Gauss Jordan method.
Gauss Jacobi iterative method.
LECTURE NOTE BEYOND SYLLABUS
1. Dutta& Jana: Introductory Numerical Analysis.
2. Numerical Analysis, S.N. Mollah
1. Balagurusamy: Numerical Methods, Scitech.