Department of Biotechnology
(Under the School of Chemical, Food and Biotechnology)
Name of Dean : Prof.(Dr.)Radharani Das
The Department of Biotechnology was established in 2001, with a vision to develop a “Centre of excellence” in Biotechnology for providing education and training facilities, to carry out application-oriented research, to develop in-house technologies, and to promote consultancy services in various areas of Biotechnology. The Department offers 4-year B.Tech. degree and 2-year M.Tech. degree.
The department imparts formal classroom education in the multidisciplinary subjects of Biotechnology as well as practical training in the laboratories of various subject areas to develop industry ready engineers and researchers with leadership & entrepreneurship qualities who can offer services to the society and scientific community through Biotechnology Extension Programmes for lab to land transfer of technologies; and fortify the ideas of perseverance & ethics and to inculcate the spirit of research among the students & teachers through extra-mural research grants.
The Department trains students keeping in mind the requirements of industries, where the pivot of concentration shifts from KNOWLEDGE to its APPLICATION, from theoritical details to a vast inter-disciplinary arena encompasing Bioinstrumentation; Bioinformatics; Biochemical Engineering etc. The Students are given special training in English and Personality Development program for their all round improvement. The department has been ranked 21st among the private engineering colleges in India, published in Biospectrum, Volume 11, Issue 8 in May 2013.
Under graduate program:
- Tech in Biotechnology Under West Bengal University of Technology (4 years)
- 60 seats + 5% TFW + 20% Lateral Entrants
- Tech (Biotechnology): 18 Seats
VISION OF THE PROGRAM
- To be a front-runner in the Biotechnology oriented education & research.
- To develop students with sound concepts in Biotechnology who can excel as leaders in Entrepreneurship, Industry and Management.
MISSION OF THE PROGRAM
- To impart formal classroom education in the multidisciplinary subjects of Biotechnology as well as practical training in the laboratories of various subject areas to develop industry ready engineers and researchers with leadership & entrepreneurship qualities.
- To offer services to the society and scientific community through Biotechnology Extension Programmes from lab to land by implementation of knowledge and technologies.
- To fortify the ideas of perseverance & ethics and to inculcate the spirit of research among the students & teachers through extra-mural research grants.
PROGRAM EDUCATIONAL OBJECTIVES (PEOs)
- PEO 1.Creating sound knowledge base evolution in Biotechnology: To imbibe and inculcate the basic foundation of Biotechnology among students so that they can excel in esteemed academic institutes, various public and private sector organizations with professional competence, technical knowledge and analytical skill.
- PEO 2.Power to work in multidisciplinary arena bridging the gap between knowledge and application: To train the students for attainment of multidisciplinary technical skills, intellectual capability with exposure to modern technologies to serve as an individual or as a team leader empowered with effective communication apt for industry, research & development sectors.
- PEO 3.Competence to provide service to the nation as well as the society: To fulfill the needs of society for solving technical, medical, agricultural and environmental problems using biotechnological principles, tools and practices in an ethical and responsible manner.
PROGRAM OUTCOME (POs)
PO1.Engineering knowledge: Apply the knowledge of science, technology, engineering fundamentals and Biotechnology specialization to the solutions of complex Biotechnological problems.
PO2.Problem analysis: Identify, formulate, and review research literature, and analyze complex Bioengineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using mathematics, natural science and their applications in the Biotechnology.
PO3.Design / development of solutions: Design and develop solutions for practical Bioengineering problems related to Biotechnology and allied fields to explore system components or processes, with solutions that meet specified needs with appropriate consideration for public health and safety, cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
PO4.Conduct investigations of complex problems: Use research based knowledge on Biotechnology, research methodology, including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of information to draw valid conclusions.
PO5.Modern tool usage: Ability to create, select, and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and computational tools, including prediction and modeling to different engineering activities, with an understanding of the limitations.
PO6.The engineer and society: Apply reasoningwith realistic contextual knowledge to assess economic, environmental, legal, ethical, cultural, and societal issues, and the consequent responsibilities relevant to the professional engineering practice.
PO7.Environment and sustainability: Understand impact of Biotechnology based engineering solutions in society in the context of environment, and demonstrate knowledge of, and need for sustainability.
PO8.Ethics: Apply bioethical principles, and commit to professional ethics, responsibilities, and norms of bioengineering practice.
PO9.Individual and team work: Ability to functioneffectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams in multidisciplinary settings of conglomerating Biotechnology.
PO10.Communication: Ability to express effectively and communicate with professional bodies in addition to society at large, such as, being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, give and receive clear instructions, and to enhance awareness in Biotechnology related fields.
PO11.Project management and finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of Bioengineering and management principles, and apply these in one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, to manage projects in multidisciplinary environments taking into consideration the aspects of financial management.
PO12.Life-long learning: Ability to recognizethe need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and life-long learning in the broad context of technological changes.
PROGRAM SPECIFIC OUTCOME (PSOs)
Upon successful completion of the B. Tech. Biotechnology program, the Graduates should be able to:
- Use their scientific knowledge empowered with critical thinking skills to ask questions and solve problems.
- Follow a protocol or Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) independently, including identification of materials and equipment, practicing Good Lab Procedures (GLP) and accurately performing all experimental procedures.
- Analyze experimental results, differentiating between expected and actual results, trouble shooting, interpreting results and making conclusions.
- Demonstrate proficiency in maintaining a safe work place, including observation of lab safety procedures, use of personal protective equipment, identification of hazards and proper handling, storage and disposal of commonly used chemicals and bio-hazardous materials.
- Communicate proficiently with the maintenance of laboratory notebook, oral presentations, and written reports.
- Calibrate and use a variety of common types of lab equipment used in Biotechnology, calculate and prepare common biotechnology laboratory solutions and able to apply the principles of general and organic chemistry to Biotechnology.
- Apply the fundamentals of thermodynamics, transfer operation, bioreactor design, followed by protein and DNA chemistry, immunology techniques, recombinant DNA technology, protein purification and identification, and cell culture in Biotechnology
- Demonstrate proficiency with aseptic technique and standard procedures while handling prokaryotic and eukaryotic cell culture.
- Use computers for Bioinformatics research and application including programming and the use of online software resources.
- Develop proficiency in laboratory management, including maintenance of an orderly work environment, inventory and ordering, and set up or maintenance of equipment.
- Develop ethics in Biotechnology, including confidentiality and scientific accountability.
- Identify careers in Biotechnology with the impregnated lifelong learning.
Dr. SirajDatta,Professor & HOD
Department of Biotechnology
Haldia Institute of Technology
ICARE Complex, HIT Campus
Dist. PurbaMedinipur, West Bengal, INDIA
Ph.No. +913224 252900; Extn.234